If you paid First American Title Company for escrow or sub-escrow services in a California residential escrow or sub-escrow transaction, a class action lawsuit may affect your rights. The deadline to exclude yourself from this class action is July 1, 2013.
First American Title Class Action Overview
The lawsuit alleges that under fee schedules First American filed with the California Insurance Commissioner, First American should have charged no more than $60 for sub-escrow services between June 15, 2003, and October 7, 2007; that under the same fee schedules First American should have charged no more than $15 for wire transfer service and overnight delivery service, and no more than $25 for messenger service per transaction between June 15, 2003, and October 7, 2007. First American disputes the allegations of the lawsuit.
A Court has approved the lawsuit as a class action on behalf of the following classes:
- All persons who were charged by FATCO more than $60 as a sub-escrow fee in a California real estate transaction between June 15, 2003, and October 7, 2007.
- All persons who were charged by FATCO more than FATCO’s filed rate for a wire transfer, overnight or messenger fee in a California real estate transaction between June 15, 2003, and October 7, 2007.
Judge Lee Smalley Edmon of the Superior Court of California, Los Angeles County is currently overseeing this case which is known as Kirk v. First American, Los Angeles Superior Court Case No. BC 372797. Plaintiff Kirk is a member of class members he seeks to represent. The Court has not decided whether First American did anything wrong. There is no money available now, and no guarantee there will ever be. You can download the PDF documents about this litigation at firstamericantitleclassaction.com.
About First American Corporation
First American Financial Corporation provides financial services through its Title Insurance and Services segment and its Specialty Insurance segment across the United States as well as internationally. It is based in California, USA. First American Title Insurance Company is a subsidiary of First American Financial Corporation providing title insurance protection and professional settlement services.
- Long-Form Notice – firstamericantitleclassaction.com/docs/notice.pdf
- First American Official Website – firstam.com
- First American on Facebook –
- Top 10 Lawsuits Impacting the Title Industry – alta.org/publications/titlenews/11/Volume90_Issue07.pdf